Thursday, May 31, 2012

Infinitely Adaptable Spanish Tortilla


Too lazy to run to the grocery store? Bare essentials staring you in the face when you open the fridge? Craving breakfast for dinner? Fear not! Spanish tortilla [the Spanish version of a frittata] may be what you need.  Back in college, I was fortunate enough to study abroad in Madrid. While I enjoyed shopping at the Zara there more than the cuisine, I came back with a couple of recipes [okay, maybe just one] under my belt…thanks to my house mom, Maria! Tortilla [not to be confused with the Mexican corn tortilla] is an egg and potato dish that is, oddly enough, eaten for lunch or dinner. Maria would serve it for dinner alongside a hot bowl of veggie soup—something that really hit the spot, particularly when one is homesick for the U.S. [don’t judge me!] I should make this more often but I actually haven’t gotten a hold of flipping an “egg cake” over a hot stove. There have been disasters, yes, and there have been triumphs. The good news is you can tailor this recipe however you like. The traditional calls for onions and potatoes but there is definitely room to be creative. This past weekend I made a version with Vidalia onions [sooo “in” right now] and garnet yams.

Spanish Tortilla
Olive oil [in this instance, I used coconut oil because that was all I had--it works though!]
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 medium Vidalia onions, sliced
2 garnet yams, baked in the microwave and sliced. [ok so traditionally the potatoes are cooked in the pan with olive oil, but this takes wayyy too long and makes the dish heavier. I just pop them in the microwave at 6 min/potato]
6 eggs beaten
Salt to taste

In a frying pan, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and garlic and sauté until they begin to brown just a bit. Meanwhile, beat eggs in separate bowl along with some salt [I want to say 1 tsp. but as Rachel Ray says… just eyeball it]. When the onions are done, pour the egg mixture in. Move the pan around so that every nook and cranny has some egg in it. Cook until the bottom, middle and sides are firm. The top should still be runny. Turn off the heat and run a spatula along the sides of the pan to loosen the cake.  Put a regular plate on top, holding it firmly, and flip the pan. The cake should have popped onto the plate [expect some gooey egg to land on your countertop].  Heat the pan again and add some more oil. Slide the cake back onto the pan so that the runny part is now on the bottom. Cook for another 5-10 minutes…and flip it back onto the plate. I like to eat this with a simple green salad, but again, it’s really up to you! 


 --T

No comments:

Post a Comment